Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Ladder of Spiritual Learning



To me, it often seems like I am climbing up a ladder that never ends with my spiritual learning. Lately, I have been listening to a lot sermons by David Platt, pastor of Brook Hills Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama. He has started a series of sermons on what it looks like to be joined together with a church family. God has really used these sermons to shape my thinking on how I continue to look at doing ministry at Bethel. I would encourage everyone to listen to his last message "The Gospel and Church Membership". Dr. Platt has become my favorite preacher right now and I believe everyone would be blessed with his messages.

During my time away from school for a couple months I have been able to do some reading which has helped me the climb the ladder in my spiritual learning. We are taking our deacons through the book What is a Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwile. This is the second time I have read the book and both times it has really just encouraged me with how I should be teaching our church to be healthy members of Bethel. Two other books I have gone through either through my personal study times here at church, on bus trips for boys basketball, or on my day off are: Polity by Mark Dever and Passion-Driven Sermon by Jim Shaddix, both excellent resources that every pastor should read. These are just some really good resources that have been encouraging me on my journey.

This journey as Pastor, Husband, and Basketball Coach has been quite a journey the last several months, and I am having a blast. I am looking forward to continuing to learn more and more each day of my life. God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe! Great to check out your blog! I also am a young pastor. I have been senior pastor since I was 22. I will be 28 on the 20th, man do I have a lot to learn! David is a friend of mine and was my professor at New Orleans for a bit.

Drop by the blog sometime. Look forward to following yours.

GB